Saturday, November 01, 2014

Shipping Saturdays #5: The One that Introduced me to Ships

The winner of last week's Shipping Saturdays was: Dimitri Belikov

Welcome to Shipping Saturdays! Basically, I talk about my favourite ship in a book/series, and then you guys get to vote on which favourite pairing of that book/series you prefer. If there are any couples you'd like me to talk about, let me know in the comments (along with what book they're from, in case I haven't read it yet!) and I'll add them to the list.




Like the title says, these three suckers (I mean that literally, but we'll get there in a minute) introduced me to the painful world of shipping, back in the day when I still wasn't quite sure what I was doing with books. Sure, I subconsciously shipped Harmony (all about that in the Shipping Saturdays #2 here) as a kid, but this trio was the first one that made me consciously stop and say 'she better end up with Damon, or so help me God'.

And I kind of let the cat out of the bag with that comment. Yeah, that's right. My first ever conscious ship was while reading The Vampire Diaries. I always feel dated when talking about these books, because these days people don't even know there are books, it's all about the TV show. But yes, I read the books first. In fact, I boycotted the TV show at first out of pure principle and in respect for all the changes they'd made. I then quit the books cold turkey when HarperTeen fired L. J. Smith (the author) and hired a ghost writer to write under Smith's name because they couldn't take the fact that she was going to make Delena endgame.

Publishing's twelve year-old tantrums aside, one thing that did not change from books to TV, was my love for Damon (helped along greatly on-screen by the delicious Ian Somerhalder of course). By book 3, when Elena turns into a vamp and is sired to Damon, I was cheering in my chair when she nearly kills Stefan because he hurt Damon. 

Those two are like two peas in a pod. And sure, Elena lacks Damon's penchant for cruelty (unless we're talking about Katherine. She so did not see Elena being a bitch coming), but she makes him want to be a better person, and he makes her live. With Stefan, she exists; with Damon, she lives. Plus, Stefan spent a whole season moping over the fact that she's a vampire and now he can't love her because ew she can be with me forever! Or whatever his excuse was, I don't even know. I don't think he does, either. Fact is, Damon's love for Elena is unconditional - as shown time and again when he tirelessly loves her through her various forms: human, vamp, ghost, angel-like thing and everything in between. In the books, if you're looking to read some awesome Delena goodness, dive into The Return: Midnight; it's guaranteed to leave any Delena fan in a puddle of fangirling goo on the floor. It's pure beauty.

But enough of me waffling on about how dreamy Damon is, even as he asks - nay, begs - her to be his Queen of Not-So-Dark Darkness *sigh*. You know what to do.


Stefan or Damon?
Stefan
Damon
Matt
Nope, Elena should've gone for the kitsune! (replace here by Elijah is you've only seen the TV show)
free polls

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)