Monday, May 13, 2013

Delirium

Title: Delirium (Parallon #2)
Author: Dee Shulman
Genre: scy-fy
Rating: 2.5/5
Cover: 4/10


The premise was so good. So, so good. There was real potential here. So what happened along the way that bumped Delirium down from a potentially 4-star review to a low 2.5-star? Well...
Okay, here's the thing. I love time-travel. It's confusing and complicated and it messes with my head just when I think I have a handle of how it works. I've loved it since it first showed up in Harry Potter, and I love it still. So, I was excited about reading a story all about time-travel. Except... it's not really about time-travel. It's more about life after death, and soul mates, and purgatory than it is about time-travel. Disappointing, but not the end of the world. But then physics was added to the equation. And not just any physics (and let's be honest, physics of any kind, shape or form is already mind-boggling enough), but quantum physics. I really liked Zack's character, but half the time he was around, I spaced out and skim-read, because the first time I tried following what he was saying, I got so lost, I had to go back one page and try again. Twice. And don't get me wrong, I love a book that is factually correct, and based on solid research. But sometimes, in fiction, it's ok to just say 'this is possible... because of reasons', no more added. It's fiction. It's acceptable.
Also, Matthias was a highly hateable character, and I found myself thoroughly bored during his chapters. In other words, only about half the book managed to have my full, undivided attention and comprehension. Which, out of a 400-page book is really quite sad.
I don't know. I'm not a scientist. I'm sure that, to those more scientifically inclined, Zack's ramblings about quantum physics would make absolute sense. Overall, an enjoyable book. Stick through the confusing and boring, cause the ending is actually pretty darn good ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)