Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review: A Kiss in Time

Title: A Kiss in Time
Author: Alex Finn
Genre: YA, historical
Rating: 5/5
Cover: 10/10


Let me start this by saying I'm usually weary of these fairy tale re-tellings. Many times, it seems the authors get stuck with the idea of the original tale, and can't seem to add much of original to the story.
That was not the case with A Kiss in Time, that's for damned sure.

I had never, not once, paused to think what would happen if you took a person from over 300 years back, and just dropped them into today's world. Well, you're about to find out. Remember, back then, they didn't have electricity, most purchases were made by exchanges, and forget cell phones. I can't even begin to explain the hilarity that ensues when you take good ole Sleeping Beauty, but skip the part where the prince rides up not too late after the entire country has gone to sleep, but rather when 300 years have gone by since the princess pricked her finger on a spindle.
Suddenly, you have an entire kingdom, still with their hearts and minds frimly back in the feudal times, trying to battle it out in the twenty-frist century. And to make matters worse, the princess isn't awakened by some prince's kiss, but by your common, everyday american boy, who just wants to get rid of the memories of his slutty ex, and if he can somehow figure out how to disentangle himself from the marriage prospect with the crazy girl who claims to be a princess, all the better.

I was needing a light reading, due to stress regarding the Hunger Games movie release (also why I didn't write a review sooner), and this fit the bill perfectly - it helped me escape into a world which was both belieavable and hilariously unbelievable at the same time; which, I know, makes no sense, but turns out to work great as a book!
Definitely worth the while to anyone looking for a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I like comments! Comments make me happy. Please let me know what you think :)